Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Reader Submitted: Farewell SS Galaxy


By Henning Lionheart

March 24, 2009. On this day, I first came to Second Life. Within a few minutes, I'd met the person who'd be my best friend in this virtual world. Riko Kamachi.

March 30, 2009. While wandering the tunnels under Dublin, I found an elevator, went up and found the miniature of a ship. I got a landmark from it, and arrived on the SS Galaxy for the first time. She's been my home every since. I may not have been a renter until the last couple of months, but I've always considered her my home..

Now, within two months, I've lost my best friend as well as the best home in Second Life. One to cancer, the other to a whole different type of cancer called griefing.

Very few of you knew this before this moment, but I had strong feelings for Riko, feelings that only grew after she passed away.

On the Galaxy, everyone has always been welcome. It doesn't matter what you are. Human, tiny, wolf, kitten, unicorn.... everyone is welcome. I found not only a home and a place to bury my bones, here I also found a family.

I may just be a mad wolf with a box. But I am far more than that, too. I am a PROUD mad wolf with a box! Proud to be a part of the Galaxy family. Proud be have walked these halls for years. There will never again be a place as majestic and inviting..

I know I speak for everyone when I say, I wish things had not come to this. I do not want to lose the Galaxy. But you do not always get what you wish for.

Time heals all wounds, or so they say. This would will never fully heal, for any of us.

As we prepare for the final voyage on board our fair lady, we should all keep our memories of her in our hearts. Think of her with kindness and love. Cherish the moments we've all shared on board..

With the deepest respect
Henning Lionheart, guard wolf

1 comment:

  1. **Now, within two months, I've lost my best friend as well as the best home in Second Life. One to cancer, the other to a whole different type of cancer called griefing.**

    :-( I am so sorry for your losses. I once met Riko at a Harry Potter-inspired sim. She was simply amazing. My heart breaks learning of her passing. I am also sorry for the impending closure of the SS Galaxy, my "getaway" for a LOT of years.

    I am curious - you mention that "griefing" is the cause of the loss of your home. And the latest Newser article states that DB said LL was the only one who could save the Galaxy. Is it griefing that is shutting her down? If so, why isn't LL protecting what could easily be known as a staple of SL? This frustrates and angers me to no end. If it is truly griefing that is causing this, there MUST be a way to save our beloved home-away-from-home.

    ReplyDelete